Pages

Saturday, August 15

Lemon and Poppy Seed Cookies

This morning I was baking a cake for DH and since the oven was still hot, I thought a batch of freshly baked cookies would be perfect with a nice hot cup of tea. I found this recipe on a Vegan site when my daughter came to visit. They proved such a hit with everyone that I kept the recipe. Today , however, I have modified the recipe as it called for real butter, eggs flour etc.

Lemon and Poppy Seed Cookies



Ingredients:
2/3 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups of Self Raising Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons lemon zest finely grated

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg and beat until well combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to a soft dough. Place rounded teaspoonfuls onto a greased tray - I prefer to use baking paper - and bake at 170 c (my oven is fan forced) for about 12 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden.

When cool, store in a air tight container. They are delicious as is and will probably last only two or three days if you are lucky. For an extra zing, drizzle the cookies with a little icing. Add enough lemon juice to 1/2 cup of Pure Icing Sugar so that the mixture is a little runny. I found that pouring the icing into a zip lock bag and snipping off the corner works really well. Makes 2 dozen.

1 comment:

Jane F. Smith said...

Uh oh!!!! now I'm the one who's embarrassed!! Sorry about that!!! I still like the page though!!! and these cookies look yummy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...